Updated October 11, 2023


1. Glossary

Additional Person Fee - Fee for each additional person included in the Rental agreementArrears - Any past due or unpaid rentAssured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) agreement - A standard tenancy agreement commonly used for residential rentals.Check out - The process of checking a property after a tenant has vacated it. This is usually done only when inventory was taken at the beginning of the lease. The condition of the property and contents is checked against the inventory and the report is used as evidence to settle the deposit.Electrical Installation Condition Report - Homeowners in England must ensure that national electrical safety standards are met. This means that landlords must check and test electrical appliances on their property by a qualified and competent person at least once every 5 years. Landlords must provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants and local authorities, if required. In Wales, only periodic inspection is recommended.Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) All properties rented for private use must have an EPC. It is used to report the energy performance of a property.Fixed Term Tenancy A tenancy with a specified start and end date.Furnished The apartment is rented with all the furniture needed by the tenant for a comfortable stay.Gas Safety Check Landlords are required to arrange an annual gas safety check of the rental property. This must be done by a registered engineer.Guarantor Someone chosen to guarantee payment of rent by a tenant if they become indebted.Inventory An inventory is a legally binding document that provides an accurate written record of the condition and contents of a property at the start of a leaseLandlord A person who owns a property and allows the tenant to live in it in exchange for a monthly rent.Letting Agent An agent that helps the landlord and tenant with the lease. Service levels will vary and will be agreed between the landlord and the letting agent.Notice A statement from the landlord or tenant that the lease is coming to an end.Part-furnished A property that is rented with some furniture, usually household appliances.Reference The process by which an applicant (ie a tenant) is credit checked, as well as their current employer and place of residence.Rent A fee (usually monthly) paid in exchange for accommodation.Right to Rent Scheme “Right to Rent”, which helps ensure that people renting a property in the UK have the legal right to be here, was rolled out across England in February 2016. This law about the right to rent means that landlords or letting agents must verify the identity of each tenant before signing a tenancy agreement.Security Deposit An amount of money received from the tenant at the beginning of the lease term, held against non-payment of rent and any damage to the property (beyond reasonable depreciation). The maximum deposit is the equivalent of 5 weeks of rental value.Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) A landlord is required by law to register a tenant security deposit with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, which protects the tenant's money and helps resolve any disputes at the end of the lease.Tenant A person who lives in a property owned by a landlord in exchange for a monthly rent.

2. Housing options in Britain


These house types are most popular in more urban areas such as London and Birmingham. This type of property is ideal for a small family, a single person or a person on a low income.


● 2-Level Flats known as maisonette or duplex flat
These are types of flats that consist of two floors and stairs. The total area is divided between two levels.


● Studio Flats
In such flats the kitchen, bedroom and living room are combined into one large open space. A studio flat is ideal for a single person or a couple, as there is usually not enough space for the whole family, and the space is not divided by any rooms.


● Converted Flats
This is not a typical "flat". Usually this is an old house that has been divided into two flats - the top floor and the basement. Converted houses are not always divided into two parts, depending on the original size of the house, they can be divided into several flats. Living in such a house can be very noisy. This is because the house was originally built for a single family and therefore does not have the same soundproofing as the newer "flat buildings".


● Detached Houses
Detached house — are separate houses that are not connected to another house or building and that’s why these houses are considered to be more private. This type of house most often has both a large front and back garden and a driveway, as its space is not limited by other buildings nearby. Usually, this is the most expensive type of property.


● Semi-detached Houses
Semi-detached house — Semi-detached houses are simply interconnected by a wall on one side only. These types of houses are often much cheaper than detached houses because the house is not as private.


●  Terraced Houses
This type of property is adjacent on both sides to other houses. The terraced house is in a row of comparable houses connected to each other by side walls. This is a very popular type of house in the UK, especially in larger cities with denser populations, making it a common source of housing for the working class centuries ago.


● End of Terrace House
This house is the end of a row of terraced houses. This type of house only has a common wall on one side, not the other.


● Cottages
These types of properties are often found in more rural areas; on farms and in the countryside. A cottage is a small house, usually rather old-fashioned. Such houses may have one or two floors. This type of property has very thick, durable walls that can withstand the cold during the winter months.


● Bungalows
This is a single storey detached house. Sometimes a bungalow has a room or two located on the "roof". The origin of the word "bungalow" comes from the word "baṅglā" which means "belonging to Bengal". This is due to the fact that at first the bungalows were built for Europeans who settled in Bengal in the 17th century.


3. The rental process

How to look for housing
The most popular way is online through the sites listed below.
More ways:- through agencies that are located in your city (you can just go to the agency from the street and ask what property is available for rent)- you can walk down the street and see a sign next to the house "available for rent". There will be a phone number of the agency or landlord on the plate, you can dial it and sign up for viewing.- hear information from your sponsors, acquaintances, etc., that someone is renting out housing (world of mouth).
Whether it is better for you to rent from a landlord or from a letting agent will depend on your budget and needs. Each option has pros and cons.
If you rent directly from the landlord:
● it is possible that payments before moving into housing will be less (depends on what the landlord requires● you may not have the same requirements of reference as the agencies. Perhaps the landlord will not require strict compliance with your income and so on.● problems may arise, since you will be less protected without an agency in the form of an intermediary and a clearly described contract.

If you rent from a letting agent, you can:
● in this case, you probably won't even know what the landlord looks like and will never interact directly with him, which is often a huge plus.● the agent acts as a wall between you and the landlord● you go to an agent if you need a renovation (if they manage the property) - they will talk to the landlord themselves and arrange the renovation for you.● you can get advice from an agent about the area and how safe it is etc.● let the rental agent know if repairs are needed (if they manage the property) - they will talk to the landlord and arrange repairs for you ● you are more protected and your contract is likely to be more thought out and you will have fewer misunderstandings

4. Selecting a site for search

● If you are looking for a room, then your sitehttps://www.spareroom.co.uk/
● If you are looking for an apartment / house, etc., then your site
Mostly with agencies
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/https://www.zoopla.co.uk/If you have a link to an important object - a school for children, a good job - use the search option in Zoopla https://www.zoopla.co.uk/travel-time/allowing you to choose the maximum travel time from this place.
● Mostly offers from homeowners (landlords)https://www.openrent.co.uk/https://www.gumtree.com/

It is necessary to consider all sites and all methods, since finding housing can be a rather lengthy process.

5. Selecting an area where you plan to rent housing

In the UK, housing rents vary greatly from city to city.According to the latest statistics for September-2023:
- average UK rental price £ 1,276, which 10,09% more than average rental price in September 2022- the average cost of renting a home increased in London +12,3% compare with September 2022. The average rental price in London is £ 2,179- the cheapest housing to rent in Britain is the North East of England. The average rental price in this area is £ 668
The cost of rent can vary greatly depending on the area of the city where you live. You should carefully inspect the area where you plan to live before renting a house (walk around the area at different hours of the day and days of the week, look at crime reports in the area, look for the shops, services you need, etc.)

6. Correlation of rental housing and salary level

For example, this is described herehttps://www.propertyreporter.co.uk/landlords/where-is-the-best-uk-city-for-renters-in-2022.html
As shown in the table below - London - is the worst city for affordable housing, as a correlation between rental housing and the salary level is that you go to the minus if you earn an average salary after paying taxes. Despite the wages in London being the highest, and rental cost also being the highest; therefore, living standard prices are very high.Important: the minimum salary is the same across the country, whereas housing prices differ. 

Always pay attention to the following:- an average salary in your city, also an average wage for this position, on which you can pretend in Great Britain;- an average housing price in your town and an amount left on your hand after the rental payment. 


7. Housing search for viewing

NEVER rent a house without a viewingNEVER don’t pay money in advance, if you haven’t seen housing and haven’t seen documentsProtect yourself as much as possible from possible financial loss because of fraud. You can be deceived, and you will lose money. If you are unsure of the steps, ask for help from sponsors or familiar Ukrainians in your city, which could help you not to face difficulties with renting.
Advices: - Look through ads every day. You can install notifications (alerts) that will come to your e-mail daily or once housing is added that matches your criteria. - As you will see ads that can be suitable for you - immediately call the agency or connect with the landlord if you plan to rent directly.- Calling local agents explain which type of housing you are interested in, and ask if they have something other than what you saw on the site.
The housing market in Great Britain is often VERY tight; thus, you have to be on the front line to be able to rent suitable accommodation for an expected budget

8. What should you pay attention at when viewing ads

When you view ads, pay attention to the following important pointsCouncil Tax Band
After rental housing you must pay Council Tax. It is a monthly amount to service cleaning debris, etc., in your city.
The bigger the house, the bigger the bills.Payment example you can find here (Cambridge Council)
https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/council-tax-bands-and-chargesTo know which amount of Council Tax you should pay can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bandsPossible discounts in Council Tax Band● Single Person discount. You get a discount in the amount of 25% if you live alone in this property.● Universal Credit. Those receiving unemployment benefits can get a discount of up to 80% (CTR - council tax reduction requires a separate application and takes several weeks, be ready to pay a total council tax on housing in the first 1-2 months even if you are entitled to a discount).You can start learning about Council Tax Reduction herehttps://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction
Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Can be checked herehttps://www.gov.uk/find-energy-certificate
Due to an increase in taxes, there is a very live issue for all landlords ahead of the heating season. The bigger Energy Certificate is, the better your house keeps warm and your lower heat costs. In Britain intermediate certificate is D. Need to be considered that usually inside homes with a certificate D are cold, and warming them is pretty expensive. If you have real estate with certificates A-B-C, we recommend you to take a good look, as this house should be a priori warmer.The certificate example is below. The landlord must necessarily have it.


Most often, real estate in Britain is for rent unfurnished. There is only a kitchen and bathroom. You should see if a fridge, washing machine or dishwasher are included.House with furniture will cost more expensive.You will have to buy furniture, and when moving, you will have to get rid of it (or take it with you, sell it or give it away for free).Online you can find many services where you can receive a lot of items for the home for free (from couches to cupboards).Sites, for example,https://www.gumtree.com/Facebook marketplacehttps://www.freecycle.org
Applications, for example:Olio
Not all landlords are ready to accept pets in their real estate. According to different data, from 4% to 10% of rented apartments and houses allow pets.It is necessary to say landlord or agency you have a pet. You will likely not find a flat or house in the city centre whose owner will accept pets. Perhaps, your option is to live in a suburb of big cities, where landlords are more committed to pets' presence.
Why is that? In addition to the personal preferences of landlords, there are several reasons:if this is an apartment, then most likely it has certain rules from the owner of the entire building; these rules often prohibit or restrict the keeping of pets in apartments, and apply to both owners and tenants.landlord insurance may require a higher rate
Completion date
Usually, the minimum rental period is 12 months. Sometimes - 6 months.You can figure out this information from a landlord or the agency and also clarify what actions need to be taken if you will have to move out before the term (very often, landlords offer you to find a new renter in exchange for you on your own).
You will need to ask who will pay the bills. Usually, if you rent a flat - statements are included. If you rent a real astate entirely - you pay.
If you smoke, it is necessary to clarify if it is allowed to smoke in the house.

9. How to choose the number of bedrooms 

There are defined rules on how many people can live in designated housing to avoid overcrowding.The choice of how many people can live in a flat/house - is not for you, but for a landlord according to the rules and his will.
General rules:● If two persons live in the housing, which should sleep in one room, your property is classified as overcrowded.● But there are two exceptions to this rule: if two persons are a couple or they are children under ten years old.
Therefore, if you arrived in the following format: your mother, you and your child, 13 years old - you should rent 3 bedrooms to avoid your housing will be classified as overcrowded.
If you arrived in the following composition: your mother, you and your child, 8 years old - you can rent housing with 2 bedrooms.
There is another calculation method based on the room count in housing (including only living rooms and bedrooms).
The maximum allowed number of people is:
1 room = 2 persons (max)2 rooms = 3 persons (max)3 rooms = 5 persons (max)4 rooms = 7,5 persons (max)5 rooms = 10 persons (max)
Such calculation is more effective; in this case, 3 persons can live in housing even with 1 bedroom if there is a separate living room.
You have to clarify this question in the agency or landlord regarding the permitted number of people who can live in housing.

10. Rental housing process

● If you are ready to rent housing after viewing, you must inform your agent or landlord about it.● You have to prove your right to rental housing in Britain. It can be done quickly by the following link:https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-rentYou will receive a share code, which you must provide to the agency or landlord.● The landlord will tell you about your next steps.● The agency will probably begin a Referencing process. Before starting the Referencing process, they may be asked to pay a Holding deposit - an amount equal to the cost of rent for 1 week.● You will need to provide the original or a copy of your BRP.
Referencing - is checking you as a reliable renter. 
What should be presented for Referencing.
● Proof of income in Britain. It can be a signed job offer (if you still don’t work but will soon begin), a contract with your company, or account statements with your monthly salary.● Agencies usually ask for income level as follows: Rental cost x 12 x 2.5 = your minimum wage BEFORE tax deduction per annum.● Landlord reference, if you have one, or a letter from a sponsor can have a positive effect on the result.● You may also be asked for your bank details for a credit check.
For example, you decided to rent housing at 1000 pounds.1000 pounds x 12 x 2.5 = 30 000 pounds.30 000 pounds - it is the minimum wage of your family per year BEFORE tax revenue (it can be only your, or your + partner’s if he/she is with you in Britain, etc.). When you reach this minimum wage per annum, you will have a full right to get housing for rent.
What have you to do if you DON’T have this income? The ways below are not 100% guaranteed to get housing, as it depends on the landlord’s commitment to you and his decision.● To rent directly from the landlord and hope he will be more willing to your income level.● To pay the total amount of rent immediately (6 months or 12 months). However, it is worth offering a smaller prepayment if there is no possibility of more - sometimes this will be enough.● Find a guarantor who would guarantee your rental payment if you cannot pay it.The calculation formula for the guarantor’s salary is following:
Rental cost x 12 x 3 = your minimal wage BEFORE tax deduction per annum.
For example, you decided to rent housing at 1000 pounds and found a guarantor.1000 pounds x 12 x 3 = 36 000 pounds36 000 pounds - it is the minimum wage of the guarantor per year BEFORE tax deduction so that he can be the guarantor for your family.
GuarantorDiscuss with your sponsors, relatives/friends/employers if they can guarantee your rent.Necessarily share the main links below with them, where the guarantor's obligations are described in detail and in English. It is a great responsibility, and your guarantors should understand all range of their responsibilities toward the landlord.https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/using-a-guarantor/https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/guarantors_for_private_rentersWatch this video together:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbJdb1Yo-bE&feature=emb_imp_woyt
The main information:
When can the guarantor be asked to pay?Most landlords can ask the guarantor to pay if the tenant:● do not pay a rental● causes damage to property
The landlord can claim to decide the district court (CCJ) against you, as also against your guarantor, if one of you won’t pay the agreed amount.
If in your housing will live several people (joint tenancy)If you share a house with other tenants under one rental contract, in other words, on a joint tenancy, usually the guarantor undertakes to pay the total rent amount, not only your part.
It is better to review carefully with a guarantee agreement and ask the landlord or agency any questions if something is not clear. Since the signing of the contract, the guarantor agrees to comply with its terms.
Probably, it will be able to agree with the landlord about modifications to the guarantee agreement. It ensures a guarantor’s responsibility will be only limited by your rent or any damage caused by you.

When does a guarantor’s responsibility endIt depends on what is indicated in the guarantee agreement.
Many guarantee agreements are termless and refer to responsibility «according to the rental agreement/contract». It means that the obligation can extend beyond a defined period to any extensions and specific changes, such as rental increases.
In this case, the guarantor's responsibility can continue until the lease agreement exists and expires only if the rent agreement ends legally.
Upon completion of Referencing process agency/landlord will be ready to rent a home to you and inform you about it.

11. Permitted payments

The government guide to the law on tenant fees contains information about taxes prohibited to collect from tenants by agents on rent and landlords and permitted payments.
Permitted payments are the following:● the rent● a refundable tenancy deposit capped at no more than 5 weeks’ rent where your total annual rent is less than 50 000 pounds or six weeks’ rent where your total annual rent is 50 000 pounds or above● a refundable holding deposit (to reserve a property) capped at no more than one week’s rent. Holding deposit has certain rules according to which it will be returned to you if it does not work out with the rental process (if the landlord changed his mind, if you did not go through referencing but provided truthful information in advance) and NOT returned (if you refused to rent yourself or did not take the necessary steps to complete the process rent for 15 days; if you knowingly provided false information)Read more here: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/holding_deposits● payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant● payment to change, assign or restore the tenancy when requested by the tenant capped at 50 pounds (or reasonable costs incurred if higher)● payment in respect of utilities, communication services, TV licence and Council Tax● a default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device giving access to the housing, where required under a tenancy agreement
All the other fees are prohibited, including the following:
● a payment to view a property● costs for setting up a tenancy● tenancy check-out fees from property● any fees for anything made by anyone other than the landlord or tenant, but which the landlord must pay

12. How not to become a victim of scam

It is a sad truth of life that scammers, swindlers, and fraudsters seek to deprive people of their hard‑earned money – and, unfortunately, the world of renting does not avoid this practice.
Due to the growing trend towards illegal activities related to housing rental, especially on the Internet, we list the most common types of rental fraud and ways to prevent them.
Fake Landlord
Unfortunately, some potential tenants lose thousands of pounds due to the substitution of landlords and real estate.
Fake properties are often posted on Gumtree, SpareRoom or other similar websites, especially in areas with high demand for rental housing. Then potential tenants are persuaded to make a deposit or an advance payment for rent — from 500 to 1600 pounds — to "put the property on hold".
In some cases, tenants even visit the property in person, and someone calling themselves the landlord shows it before asking to transfer the deposit.
A few weeks later, with no further contacts, the tenants realize that they have become a victim of fraud.
In addition to fake ads and scammers advertising real estate that has already been rented out, the most common cases of rental fraud concern "phantom apartments" — cheap real estate advertised in prestigious places that either do not exist or belong to someone else.
Real estate rental sites such as Rightmove are also used by scammers to convince tenants to transfer money — directly to the bank account of the "landlord" — before seeing the property, again working on the condition that the house will be "guaranteed" to them. Tenants' concerns about high demand, the need to act decisively and fierce competition for rental housing are used by malefactors.
How to understand that you are being deceived?
Trust your gut. If it sounds too good to be true, maybe it is. Treat everything with a healthy dose of skepticism — if the landlord asks you to transfer the deposit even before you see the property, alarm bells should start ringing.
Similarly, Rightmove or other similar sites will never ask you to transfer money directly to them. If you have received a document from Rightmove with a request to confirm the tenant by transfering money to Rightmove PLC, assume that something is wrong.
Other alarm signals may include the following: the landlord seems too interested, or the tenant is asked to make a deposit or advance payments that seem to be too high.
How can you protect yourself from scams?
Fortunately, there are a number of steps you can take to make sure you don't fall victim to rental fraud:
● Be extremely careful when renting a room: make sure that you have a properly drawn up and signed contract. ● Single women must check who will live in the apartment where you plan to rent a room. ●  Be suspicious of attempts to create a "hype", insisting on paying in some short period of time.● Never send money forward before you have seen the property. The transfer of money to ensure the “guarantee” of real estate is not standard, and any landlord requesting a deposit may not have the best intentions. In this regard, also be suspicious if the landlord or landlord is "on vacation, working abroad" - and this is used as an argument that you can not get access to see.● Avoid ads without photos.● Visit the rental property in person and check the landlord's identity card. You should also verify the authenticity of any safety certificates (in particular for gas and electricity).● If you are asked to transfer money through a service such as Western Union, be very vigilant.● Make sure that the property really exists.● Never pay for a deposit in cash. Use a credit card if you can — it provides more protection or bank transfer.● Use the land registry to check whether the landlord is the rightful owner of the property  https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry ● Check whether the landlord is a member of a nationally recognized body, for example, the National Residential Landlords Association or the British Landlord Association.

13. Joint Tenancy 

Joint tenancy is a guaranteed lease agreement signed by several tenants for renting one property, which imposes on each person "joint and individual" responsibility ('jointly and severally') for paying their share of the rent.
This is usually calculated as a share or percentage, for example, each of the four tenants will pay a quarter or 25% of the monthly rent, as well as a quarter of the rental deposit.
Some tenants divide the rent unevenly to reflect different room sizes. For example, a tenant renting a bedroom with a double bed and a balcony will pay 31% of the rent, and tenants renting the other three bedrooms with single beds will pay 23% each. 
But remember that joint tenancy binds tenants much stronger than other types of lease. When you sign a contract jointly with other people, there are both financial and contractual consequences if you or one of the other tenants want to leave the property.
Most tenants are happy to rent a house in this way and take a risk. Living in a shared house with friends or acquaintances through a joint tenancy is usually much cheaper than renting a one-room apartment or a studio, and a bit more pleasant than renting a room in an apartment where absolute strangers live. 
But remember, if one of your housemates leaves the property (or the country), you will have to pay your share of the rent until a replacement is found.

14. What is HMO - House in Multiple Occupation 

Your home (or a group of you who are going to rent together) is an HMO if both of the following are true:at least three residents live together and form more than one familyYou share a toilet, kitchen or bathroom with another family member
And if the following factors also take place, then your house is a large HMO:
At least 5 people live together forming more than 1 familyYou share a toilet, kitchen or bathroom with another family member
"Family" in this case is one person or members of the same family living together. Read more about the definition of a family here at the links below.
Why is it important? The owner of a HMO-classified home has a broader list of responsibilities to residents for repairs, home security, and so on. The owner of a home classified as a large HMO must obtain a license from the cansil. For the delivery of such housing without a license, the landlord can be fined.
This may limit your choice of property if you plan to rent with another family.

15. Moving into a house

Documents that you must sign when renting a house
Tenancy Agreement. Make sure you have a written tenancy agreement and read it carefully to understand your rights and obligations before signing it. The landlord or agent usually provides a contract template, but you can ask the landlord or agent to consider using a different version and/or making your own edits. The government has published a standard tenancy agreement, which can be downloaded for free. If you have any doubts about the agreement, seek advice before signing it. If you are unhappy with the tenancy agreement, the Rent Act allows tenants to refuse unfair conditions without losing a deposit.Inventory of property. Confirm the inventory (or registration report) with your landlord before moving in, and, as an additional guarantee, be sure to take photos. This will ease the situation if there is a dispute about the deposit at the end of the tenancy term. If you are satisfied with the inventory, sign it and keep a copy. Meter reading. When moving in, do not forget to take the meter reading. If possible, take a picture of the meter reading, as well as the date and time. This will help to make sure that you are not paying the bills of the previous tenant.Contact information. Make sure you have the correct contact details of the landlord or agent, including a phone number that you can use in case of an emergency. You have a legal right to know the name and address of your landlord.Practice Codes. Ask if your landlord or agent has signed a set of rules that can give you additional confidence about their behavior and practices.

What should the landlord give you:
● A copy of the guide "How to rent: a checklist for renting in England" in hard copy or, if you agree, by e-mail as a PDF attachment.Gas safety certificate. The landlord must provide you with a copy of this certificate before you take over the property, and must provide you with a copy of the new certificate after each annual gas safety check, if there is a gas installation or appliance.Deposit documents. If you have made a deposit, the landlord must protect it in accordance with a government-approved scheme within 30 days and provide you with the prescribed information about it. Make sure that you have received official information from your landlord and that you understand how to get your money back at the end of the rental term. Save this information as you will need it later. DO NOT give the deposit in cash, use secure ways of making a depositEnergy Performance Certificate. Your landlord must provide you with a copy of the EPC, which indicates the energy efficiency rating of the rental property, free of charge at the beginning of the rental term. As of April 2020, all privately rented properties must have the Band E or higher energy efficiency rating of EPC before being rented (unless a current exception applies). You can also find the EPC online and check its rating.

What do you COMMIT to when renting a house:
● Pay the rent on time. If your rent is more than 14 days overdue, you may be liable for a penalty. In addition, you may lose your house due to a violation of the tenancy agreement. If you have any problems, visit the GOV.UK website. There are links to additional tips there. Check out these practical steps for paying rent on time.● Pay on time any other bills for which you are responsible, such as council tax, gas, electricity and water bills. If you pay gas or electricity bills, you can choose an energy supplier yourself.● Keep an eye on the property. Before you start repairing or decorating, get the permission of the landlord. It is also worth insuring your property, because the landlord's insurance will not cover your belongings.● Be attentive to your neighbours. Antisocial behavior may be a reason for your landlord to evict you.● Do not take in a tenant or subrent without checking whether you need the permission of the landlord.
What you SHOULD DO when renting a house:
● Make sure you know how to operate the boiler and other appliances, and know where the shut-off valve, fuse box and any meters are located.● Check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors regularly – at least once a month.● Inform your landlord about the need for repairs. If you think that any repairs are required, you should inform your landlord about it. Failure to report the need for repairs may be a violation of the tenancy agreement. In extreme circumstances, a risk to your deposit may arise if minor repairs turn into a serious problem because you didn't report it.● Consider insuring your property — the landlord usually has property insurance, but it doesn't cover anything that belongs to you.● Think about whether installing a smart meter will save you money if you are responsible for paying electricity bills. Read the manual about your rights and information on how to get a smart meter. We recommend you to inform your landlord before you receive it.
What the landlord undertakes to do:
● Preserving the appearance of the property.● Be sure that the property is not exposed to serious dangers from the very beginning and throughout the entire rental term.● Install smoke detectors on each floor and carbon monoxide detectors in rooms with appliances running on solid fuels such as coal and firewood, and be sure that they work at the beginning of the rental term. If there are none, ask the landlord to install them.● Solving any problems with water, electricity and gas.● Solving problems related to appliances and furniture that are provided with housing. ● Performing most repairs. If something doesn't work, let your landlord or agent know as soon as possible.● Organization of an annual gas safety inspection by a gas safety engineer (where there are any gas appliances).● Organization of a 5-year electrical safety inspection by a qualified and competent person ● Request permission from you to access your home and report expected visits, for example, for repairs, at least 24 hours in advance, and these visits must take place at a reasonable time — neither the landlord nor the letting agent have the right to enter your home without your express permission.

16. Housing Payment

Some landlords and letting agents may say they won't let you rent from them if you receive housing payment through Universal Credit.
You have to tell your landlord or letting agent that you get housing payment or universal credit only if they ask. 
There are options when your annual salary meets the requirements of the rental agency, but you can also request Housing Payment for this rent. 
What you need to do for this with a private rental: - sign the tenancy agreement, read it CAREFULLY, pay attention to whether there is any mention of Universal Credit / Housing Payment. Normally there is no such mention.- Move into a house- explore LHA - Local House AllowanceLocal Housing Allowance (LHA) is the maximum amount of benefit you can claim if you pay rent to a private landlord. 
The website to check by your postcode: https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx
- study how many bedrooms should be in your house in order to receive Housing Payment
The calculator is here : https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/bedroomcalculator.aspx
- having summed up your Universal Credit, Child Benefit and Housing Payment, check whether you fall outside the Benefit Cap limits
Benefit Cap is the maximum amount of benefits totalled up that the state can allocate to you in a year. The amounts can be found here (there are exceptions, there is a “grace period” of 9 months when the benefit cap does not affect the amount of benefit). https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap/benefit-cap-amounts
The list of benefits that must be summed up: https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap
- after receiving the tenancy agreement, you can apply for Universal Credit. In the application, add your housing costs. 
IMPORTANT: If you live in council housing, other rules apply. 

Example : A person receives an annual salary of 35,000 pounds. The person has gone through the referencing process, since for a rent of 1,000 pounds per month, it is enough to show an annual income of 30,000 per year.  The person has a child. After signing the tenancy agreement, the person submits for Housing Payment through Universal Credit. 
How the calculations are carried out: You can calculate it herehttps://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/result/f362d334-169c-4f4f-80a0-fc93db70b096

● You can rent a property with 2 bedrooms● You are entitled to Universal Credit in the amount of 334.92 (for you) + 289.99 (for the child). Also, you can get the maximum Housing Payment in the amount of 822.73 (in accordance with the LHA of your area, the Milton Keynes area was taken as an example). In total, 1447.67 pounds per month● A certain amount is deducted from this amount for your income. This amount, with an annual income of 35,000 pounds, is 1056.9 pounds. ● In all, you are left with a Universal Credit of 390.74 pounds per month, which you can spend on partial coverage of your rent. 

17. Additional help from the Local Council

If you need additional assistance (if Housing Payment does not help you with covering your rental costs), you can qualify for Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)
More detailed information belowhttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments
And also on the websites of your Local CouncilsTo find your Council datahttps://www.gov.uk/find-local-council

18. Social housing

There is a huge demand for social housing in the UK, and British people have been waiting for years to receive it. You shouldn't hope that you will be allocated social housing. Especially if we talk about popular big cities. 
When do you need to contact the Council: - in life-threatening situations, when you have become homeless, especially if you have small children with you. - even in this case, it is likely that you will need to live somewhere for a few weeks, or even months, until your Council checks your application and is ready to allocate you social housing. - It is important to pay attention to the population of people who will live in the apartment building where your Council allocates housing for you. Especially, if you have children. 

19. Average expenses 

Using this link, you can view and compare the average costs of renting a house in different regions of Great Britain. 
Examples for London and for other regions in England (in the line "Regions" choose other region you need instead of London): https://homelet.co.uk/homelet-rental-index/london
Example for Scotland:https://homelet.co.uk/homelet-rental-index/scotland
Example for Wales: https://homelet.co.uk/homelet-rental-index/wales
Example for Northern Ireland: https://homelet.co.uk/homelet-rental-index/northern-ireland

20. Rent in different parts of Britain

21. What should Ukranians do next?

● If you need housing now (problems with the sponsor, the relatives, who invited you, cannot provide you with housing etc.) - you should contact your local Council. The Council will look for new sponsors for you or provide you with temporary housing● If you have a Homes for Ukraine (sponsorship) visa, you should openly talk with the sponsors, for what period they are ready to provide you with housing (only 6 months or 12 months)● It is absolutely necessary to look for a job, earn money and save for future rent if you plan to stay in Britain. In addition to the income level that you must demonstrate, you also should be ready to immediately pay for the first month of rent + 5 weeks of deposit. Be ready to buy basic things for your house. The less time you spend in the country, the more preference is given to work under a contract (against work with hourly pay without a guarantee of a certain level of income).● Be prepared that the search for housing may take a long time and if you do not have other housing for this period and there is no help from the Council, you will need somewhere to live while you are looking for housing. Alternatively, do not leave the search for housing until the last month if you are with a sponsor. ● If you have little knowledge of the language - learn the language in the meantime. ● Search for housing directly from landlords through websites, groups in FB, communities. Hope that the landlords will be more supportive to give you permission to rent their housing without a confirmed income on your part. ● Talk to sponsors or relatives, whether they can act as guarantors for you when renting a house, if your earnings will not be enough for referencing. This is a big responsibility.